Here are five apps that enhance my global small business and help me focus on achieving results faster. Many of them are free. Some have fees or carry a monthly subscription, so be sure to check before installing. All are available for iPhone, iPad, Android, and Blackberry devices.
1. Skype: (http://www.skype.com/en/). This app allows you to talk for free with anyone, anywhere in the world! Who can resist? If you can’t use Skype Mobile, Skype to Go numbers are also available without an Internet connection. These numbers offer discounted international calls as well as access to Skype’s services without downloading or installing software.
2. Square: (http://www.squareup.com). This app collects credit card payments from anyone anywhere in the world via the Square Card Reader, which plugs directly into your smart phone and allows you to accept credit and debit card transactions at a fee of 2.75 percent per swipe. I’ll never forget the first time my technology expert used the Square reader at my office after he had taken care of some Wi-Fi issues. He finished his work, invoiced me while standing there, and asked if I wanted an e-mail or text receipt for accounting purposes. Done. The funds were available to him the next day.
3. QuickBooks: (http://quickbooks.intuit.com). This app, run by Intuit, allows you to organize your business all in one place to handle a variety of financial tasks that can be accessed at home or on the go. Prices start at $12 a month based on your needs.
4. Desk.com: (http://www.desk.com). This is a customer support app for small businesses, which allows you to see your customers in one place and engage them across all your support channels and social media (Twitter, Facebook, phone, chat, discussion boards, and so forth).
5. Evernote Business: (https://evernote.com/business/). Evernote Business includes all the features of Evernote and Evernote Premium—easily taking notes and snapshots or recording audio and sharing it between as many digital devices as you need, anywhere at anytime—plus special business-only tools and capabilities. The cost is $10 per user per month.
There are thousands of business apps that can help you better manage your business. Do an Internet search using the keywords “Best small business apps” to find the most popular apps that fit your specific needs. Start budgeting now.
Like what you learned? Discover more by reading Exporting: The Definitive Guide to Selling Abroad Profitably